Friday, April 03, 2009

Humbling


Last night I had a chance to speak at the Churches Together in Selby Lent meetings under the topic Kingdom and Culture. In summary, I talked about the fact that being Christian had been disconnected with being Christ-like. I tried to define the problem with reference to what is generally seen to be "standing up for" Christianity, such as boycotting films like Harry Potter, Life of Brian and the Last Temptation of Christ (for which you might check this story out). My point was that we should be the ones turning the other cheek, going the extra mile, forgiving 70 times 7, etc.

In all honesty I had been worried about this talk as I had perceived the prevalent view among the audience to be "We need to make our country Christian once again...". I had noted one particular person who expressed this view by waving his bible in the air and saying "we must come back to follow this!".

I ended the evening with the act of worship which I have posted earlier today on Philippians 2, Christ had the full power of God but humbled himself as a slave. Despite my reservations, the talk was well received and this same man came to me and could not stop crying. "Thank you so much for what you have said. I have waited years to hear this, to be taken back to the Word. You made me realise just how judgemental I had become when Jesus had become so humble".

I was humbled too, that this man would recognise such an aspect in his character and be willing to put it right. I was chastened too, that I had misjudged so many - perhaps we underestimate the sheep still look for shepherding.

The Kingdom of God wins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

love god. love all.