Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I love youth work!

There - I've said it. It is now on the internet and must therefore be true.

I was at a meeting today for those involved in working with community residents and we had been asked why we had wanted to become involved in community issues. My answer was that I wanted to be involved in helping with issues on the estate but even as I was saying this I knew I could simplify things down to my love for youth work.

Until recently, I have been involved in streetwork in Selby but it didn't work out for various reasons. So I was surprised that I feel so strongly about it today.

I cannot understand when people see children from broken families, eating sausage rolls for breakfast, their hearts go out to them. But when those children grow up to be difficult teens all Joe Public want to do is to slap on an ASBO.

Young people are marginalised today and the future of our communities depend on their reintegration to society. But for me, I am most motivated by the fact Jesus moved among and loved the marginalised. And that is why I love youth work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

love god. love all.